Newbie from Staffordshire - advice appreciated

Hi folks

I’ve just set up my own VA business and am really grateful for the advice on this website and forum. It’s been a godsend.

I’ve set up with nothing after losing a bar job in July and I’m optimistic for the future, although mildly terrified all at the same time.

I’ve been approached to provide a website and have an interview later to support an IBCLC.

How do you get past underestimating your value? I’ve set my costs at the lower end of the average as I don’t really have expertise in a specific industry, but I still think I’m asking too much!

Also, this who started out with literally nothing, how did you sort out business insurance and contracts? Koffee Klatch docs look fantastic but I can’t afford that right now. Likewise PolicyBee (I’ve had a quote but don’t have the money). Feels like a catch 22!

Can’t wait to get stuck in!

Thanks
Kerry

Hi Kerry

How exciting and Congratulations for setting up.

I would say that the business insurance, ICO registration and client contracts are a priority so you will need to purchase these in order to start working with clients and they are worth every penny. Take a look at SVA for start up advise as well as Jo at the VA Handbook (there are do many tools online).

Good luck with everything

:blush:

I knew you were going to say that. I’m just not sure how I can afford it without an income. Any money I do make (I clean for a neighbour) goes into paying for household bills etc.

I think I’ll have to do some costings and have a chat to the husband.

Have a look around for local funding opportunities. There are lots of opportunities out there through banks, councils and government schemes which are keen to help business start-ups