Introduction - PLEASE READ FIRST

Hello. I’m new to this field. My goal is to become VA but don’t know where to start in order to make it my own business. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for having me.

I am fairly new too (at least to creating my own business) … and I have definitely learned that it’s a trial and error.

One book that I have found useful was Hill’s introduction to the business. It is written in such a discursive way that you can read it through quickly and then stop and go back to the important bits.

You can get it second had on eBay I think.

But starting a business is a strange combination of creativity and rationality. You need to think both of what you like doing best, and where it is likely that money will come in from.

I know there are mixed feelings in the community about it, but I decided to be a SubVA (or “Associate”) to a well established VA firm for over a year before going solo.
This post written by Caroline is quite useful to understand it better and maybe dispel some of the confusion about it all:

Hope that helps a little to start off with.

Anna

Hey! My names Lauren and I’m a new VA :blush:
I run Virtual Wales - a virtual business service based in South Wales :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
I can’t wait to get stuck into this forum and meet so many likeminded people!

Hi Lauren - There are defo a few Welsh VAs lurking in those hills!! @carolemeyrick1 for one!

Welcome to SVA!

Oh brilliant! Thank you @caroline

Hi everyone!

My name is Mateusz Abramczyk, but you can call me Matthew if you prefer. I am based in Liverpool and I am a beginner VA (any tips for starting out as a VA would be helpful, thank you in advance).

Hi Matthew! Welcome to SVA… you might find our Amazon link for start up VAs useful:

Hey, I’m Joanna. New VA based in London. I will be launching Afflatus VA Service in the next 10 days.
Not sure how everyone else felt when they took the leap, but I’m excitedly nervous. :smile:

I think I spent a good 6 months thinking “What have I DONE???” mixed in with huge highs… It is the fun bit, and that grip on your stomach is a good thing!

Hi everyone,

I am a Lincolnshire based VA. I have worked similar roles for many years.

2019 is my year to have everything official, website and socials launched a few weeks back. Now… to build clients and properly make this my full time role.

Looking forward to enjoying this journey with you :smiley:

Vicky :tea:

Hi Ann,

Have you heard of Bark? I have heard lots of people getting work from there (I’m yet to try it) but my boyfriend found his accountant on there and thinks she is great :slight_smile:

Hello everyone!

My name is Clare and I have been running my VA company Miss MPS for 5 and a half years now and have 2 full-time members of staff working from our East Malling office.

Our website is www.missmps.co.uk if anyone would like to take a look.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Clare

Not on there myself but I know they used to have a habit of adding people onto the platform who hadn’t asked to be featured… So the info might not be 100% accurate.

They added me, they had me as an accountant… I’m not!
I’ve since edited the preferences, they don’t have a VA specific section but they have many tasks that could be relevant.
I’ve not checked it out properly as you have to pay (£80) for a bundle of credits, you then use these to reply. Each listing uses a different amount of credits, on average, you only get 8 - 10 replies for the £80… You’re not even exclusively contacting that lead, you’re paying to throw your hat in the ring to be considered. I’m a little cynical but it’s working very well for my partner who’s an electrician. It also boosts his and my website rankings.

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the community and really looking forward to being an active member. I set up my VA Business earlier this year, following the arrival of my first child and my deep seated desire to work for myself! Turns out having a baby is good for the brain cells and despite the sleep deprivation, I somehow managed to cobble together a rather lovely website from scratch, www.alisonquinnvirtualassistant.co.uk! I am really enjoying seeing my little business beginning to flourish and know with all the help and resource this forum has to offer, I have a safe space to refer to if I need help! I hope I am able to offer the same support in return!

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Alison

Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie to VA, self employment and working from home. I live in Antrim, Co Antrim, and I am a mum to 2 now grown up children and 2 cats.

I left employment following illness and decided working for myself from home was best for me. Having left school with typing all the way back in 1990 and following an array of administration qualifications, bookkeeping etc and always worked in admin roles including spending 3 years as Office Manager/PA in my last employed role.

I have just this week completed some local business start up programmes so now can focus full time on my VA business and really enjoying helping other new business start up’s in their early stages of business too, eg, getting them registered with HMRC. I am always learning so any new information or information you may be looking for which I may know the answer please contact me.

In my spare time I do a lot of crafting and knitting toys which I’m not getting much of recently but so far loving my new life.

Thank you for reading.
Roisin

Hi Roisin,
I couldn’t resist making contact with you when I read your message. I’m in Co.Down and although I’ve been doing ‘VA work’ for a few years, I’ve just launched my website, joined LinkedIn and started networking as a VA. I got my first ‘proper’ VA client yesterday.
I’d be delighted to connect with you on LinkedIn, we might even be able to meet up sometime!
(another) Róisín

Hi everyone,

I’m in Co, Down having moved here 5 months ago from Kent. Although I’ve been providing VA support for a few years, I’m delighted to be widening my net by launching my website recently www.mallon-va.com. I love the versatility of being a VA. I look forward to getting you know you all and dipping into the amazing support that seems to be here.

Róisín

Hi Roisin,
Well done you on your website, LinkedIn and networking as well as your first ‘proper’ client.

I’ve had a few small one off clients but each one matter and I’ve only been doing this full time since September.
I would be very happy to connect with you and meet up. It can be lonely working for yourself, so people keep telling me!!
Here is my LinkedIn url to connect there https://www.linkedin.com/in/roisin-mcgarry-rmgadminva/

Hi Everyone, Im Shelley from Scotland
At present, I am not an active VA but I have 20y experience in PA/Secreterial and also dabble in other skills outwith these roles which could prove beneficial to a VA role and currently looking into setting myself up as a VA so at present, I am on for research and developing a business plan.
Hoping to get some great advice/ideas and begin this venture into a new (almost new) career which will mean I can work hours which suit my lifestyle caring for my baby while also being able to work too as working nights are proving tiring when juggling a baby and would love to put my years of experience to use.