Introduction - PLEASE READ FIRST

Welcome to the SVA Forum - a free resource for all UK Virtual Assistants.

JOIN SVA:
Please visit here to join SVA.
Requests are processed on Fridays by volunteers - please be patient whilst we process your application.

Please support SVA by clicking on the links above and using the products featured - they are all recommended by us. The revenue helps keep this a free resource and we only receive income if you buy the products. If you have a product you would like to feature or would like to advertise here, please contact info@societyofvirtualassistants.co.uk

The rules are very simple: no spamming, no offensive language or remarks, and we reserve the right to block anyone caught repeat offending. We will also block ANYONE caught plagiarising from any member VA site or signing up for any marketing materials pretending to be a client. Do NOT do it!

Enjoy the forum!
Caroline

Hello
My name is Bernadette, I am based in dollar Clackmananshire and I am VA, my website will go live next week.
I have to say, like most people I have struggled with all the available software out on the market, to which point it became very confusing, so I sat back, looked at what I really needed to get me going and hey presto it worked…
The only trouble I am having; is software for Diary management, I have outlook but for some reason don’t have Microsfot Exchange, which without will not allow me to calendar share… So any useful tips in the right direction would be much appreciated…
I have 2 clients to date through networking, so hoping for success…

Anything I do for anyone, just ask, always happy to help x :lol: :lol:

Hi

My name is Tina Hudson I am new here. I started my business in September 2009 still waiting for the elusive lovely clients but very proud to say that Charlotte Burford is my mentor!

My name is Nelsea and I have just started my VA business and it’s going veeeery slowly. Not that I mind much, I have a full time job (so that helps with the income) and currently studying. I don’t expect my business to take off next week or anything so i’m taking my time and making sure that when I do go full time as VA, I will be ready for it… so studying and asking my friends and family for work just to keep me busy :slight_smile:

I love SVA! nice to meet you all.
x

Hi everyone,

My name is Ann. I am preparing to launch a VA practice in Edinburgh and the Lothians on 1st September.

My target market will be primarily, local grass-roots businesses and sole traders. Providing secretarial and administration services (possibly book-keeping).

I am currently setting up office, systems, procedures, infrastructure and website.

Feeling nervous, excited, optimistic and a bit daunted but ready to take the challenge.

ANY guidance for a newbie would be much appreciated and I look forward to gaining insights from the group. It is good to have a UK focused forum.

Regards, Ann

I just joined this site and it looks very friendly and helpful!

I’ve toyed with the idea of become a Virtual Assistant for a while and now I really think I want to go for it, but have many questions so any feedback to any of them would be a MASSIVE help!

Firstly did anyone have a mentor for staring up? Do a course/training? I’ve seen some on line and wondered if you had an experiences with them or if they were scams. I’m very interested in VA Apprentice, any feedback? Can’t find anything on line!

Secondly I only have a netbook which is WAY too small so need to upgrade, I am thinking about a MAC, should I invest? Do you use MAC? I’m used to Microsoft and their packages, how good are MAC’s for secretarial jobs, Word/Excel etc? Obviously their verisons and how do you find that they are compataible with clients?

To be totally remote I thought of using Skype/Dashbox for file storage and Googlemail, what systems do you use?

Also haven’t a clue about setting up a website, how much does this cost? Domain, creating or hosting? This would be included in the VA apprentice course I mentioned, another reason I’m interested as trying to figure out start up cost and do a business plan - really need your feedback to research this!

Also how do you register a company name? Do you go as limited or sole trader? Also do you use an accountant for tax etc?

Lastly I need a full time income and plan to work out of hours to start, can this be done? How can I work in the evenings? Do you do this?

Sorry for SO many questions and I really would be very grateful for any ideas/response you have!

Thanks!

Hi JT

Lots of questions there! That’s a GOOD thing!

Firstly did anyone have a mentor for staring up? Do a course/training? I’ve seen some on line and wondered if you had an experiences with them or if they were scams. I’m very interested in VA Apprentice, any feedback? Can’t find anything on line!
Be very careful about who you give money to - does the trainer have experience of being a VA? Can they truly say they’ve run a successful business? If so, why are they offering training rather than making their business make them money? Having said that, training definitely gets you up and running faster because you avoid some of the more common pitfalls.

Secondly I only have a netbook which is WAY too small so need to upgrade, I am thinking about a MAC, should I invest? Do you use MAC? I’m used to Microsoft and their packages, how good are MAC’s for secretarial jobs, Word/Excel etc? Obviously their verisons and how do you find that they are compataible with clients?
I’m biased because I think Macs are the devil’s own work - but frankly I have more problems with mac compatibility than I have with ANY other kind of technology in my business. Most of my clients use PCs fortunately, but it will depend on your target market as to whether that rings true for you too…

To be totally remote I thought of using Skype/Dashbox for file storage and Googlemail, what systems do you use?
Get proper storage and back up - something secure and automatic. None of the ones you mentioned are particularly secure or effective! Search for “data back up” in the forum - loads of options!

Also haven’t a clue about setting up a website, how much does this cost? Domain, creating or hosting? This would be included in the VA apprentice course I mentioned, another reason I’m interested as trying to figure out start up cost and do a business plan - really need your feedback to research this!
How long is a piece of string? Would your business be a one-size-fits-all website? Depends very much on how you want to work… But setting up a website is becoming cheaper and easier all the time.

Also how do you register a company name? Do you go as limited or sole trader? Also do you use an accountant for tax etc?
Loads of these questions are answered in the UK VA Survey - it’s out soon and would be a good investment for you to make these decisions.

Lastly I need a full time income and plan to work out of hours to start, can this be done? How can I work in the evenings? Do you do this?
Yes and no. Do you have at least 20 hours/week to work on your business and can you make some of those hours in traditional business hours?

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for your response!

The trainning programme is thevaapprentice.com/the-comp … programme/ has anyone heard of this? Have you? What do you think looking at the website?

Perhaps with the advice on here I could avoid paying out!

A friend of mine says he can set up the website etc and design logo so basically need to look around, get ideas (without stealing!) of the type of website I want, my company name etc.

More research and questions…

Jo

Yes - that’s the one who I wrote this article in response to:
societyofvirtualassistants.c … %e2%80%a6/

But I also think that Jo @ Seeking Serenity did this course and speaks v highly of it. Different courses will suit different people.

Great I will check out your article and perhaps get in touch with Jo.

My name is Kerry and I am very keen to be a SVA member having been recommended by another member who has advised me of the wealth of information you guys offer.

I run a virtual transcription office covering a variety of formats and industries.

javascript:emoticon(’:D’)

Hi Kerry

Glad the word is spreading! Don’t forget to visit the main site and click on the TYPING and START UP VAs sections!

Caroline

Hi,
I am based in York, I currently work as a PA but will soon be leaving work to concentrate full time on starting up as a VA - scary! I would be interested in chatting to other local VA’s about how they started up and what pitfalls to avoid!

I started trading as a Virtual Business Assistant in June this year and am going from strength to strength; finding clients from networking groups. I offer PA and Project Support to my clients who are all small businesses or sole traders needing that extra support but can’t afford to employ someone. I’m looking forward to getting some tips from successful VAs which will help enhance my business. Lois

Hi Lois

Welcome to SVA!

Caroline

Well done and welcome!

Hi everyone

I’m new to this forum, and pretty much forums in general, so please bare with me.

I’m setting up my Virtual Assistant business at the moment, so taking in so much information at the moment. Just wanted to say hi to everyone and see how everyone else is doing.

Michelle

Hi Michelle

Welcome to SVA!

C

Hi Caroline

Thank you for the welcome. Just trying to work out how to use this forum!