Hi from Kent

Hi everyone, I am Marion and I live near Sittingbourne, Kent. I have over 40 years experience of Executive PA/Senior Technical Analyst work. With the last 20 years of that working for a London company (with latter 6 years working remotely).

At the end of 2018 I took voluntary redundancy as the company changed hands thinking that I would be able to work locally. But, as others have found out, it was not to be that easy. Working part time for a local estate agent I then found myself out of work during this pandemic.

With a couple of mistakes made when trying to join online schemes and losing money I was told several times to be a VA. So that is what I am trying to do.

But having had my confidence crushed a bit after being told at an interview “why don’t you retire?” I am wondering whether I would be considered too old!

I have blogs, had my own websites and am always online and I have enrolled on courses that are supposed to help and have now found my way to your lovely forum.

This is not a hobby - I need to work financially and mentally but am worried I may not be good enough.

Anyway - that is me - thanks for letting me join.

Welcome Marion - I think there are a fair number of “advanced” virtual assistants, it is a good way of cutting the commute and keeping working for a lot of people. It can be an advantage, particularly if you target an older demographic of client. Like buys like!

Welcome Marion. Sorry to hear that someone was so rude to you at an interview. You are certainly not too old to be a VA, in fact I think the fact you have solid Executive PA experience will work to your advantage!
All the best with everything.

Thank you for your encouragement and welcome.

I’ve not been disheartened and have spent the weekend setting up my website and FB page and am trying to remain positive.

Glad to be a part of this forum and hope to learn a lot.

All the best to you all too.

Hi Marion, you’re not alone! I’m in my early sixties and haved worked as a PA at various senior levels for 40+ years. I took redundancy at the end of December from my London job hoping to find a local job but despite several interviews, no job offer was forthcoming and then the pandemic arrived and here I am working towards becoming a VA in the hope that my age will be irrelevant. I’ve already asked the age question having recently joined the SVA in search of advice and information. We have lots of valuable experience, surely there are clients out there that will value this? Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for your good wishes.

I keep on trying and have registered on PayPerHour but no joy so far. Also updated LinkedIn and spread my website through local network.

Wishing you all the best too. Persistence and optimism must surely work in the end!

Good luck :grinning: