Hi Everyone

Hi Everyone! I’m new to this forum so thought I’d introduce myself :blush: have worked as an EA within the hospitality industry at some of London’s best-known hotels for 10 years. After being furloughed in April, I decided to take a leap of faith and launch my own VA business. I’ve done a few jobs on People Per Hour, but I am currently looking for my first “real” client. Networking isn’t something I consider myself good at, but I realise I need to step out of my comfort zone and just get on with it! Anyway, lovely meeting you all! I hope I get to know you a bit more and make some new friends :blush: enjoy the rest of your day and have a great week!

Hi Alicia

Welcome to SVA - it’s always good to get some practice in on the job sites, I think it stands you in good stead for those “real” clients.

Thanks Caroline, that means a lot :blush:

Hi Alicia,

Welcome to the forum. I’d recommend you have a look at local networking groups in your area. Many networking groups have continued to organise virtual events during the lockdown. I don’t consider myself all that great at networking either and I found the virtual events easier to get started on but maybe that is just me…

Hi Julian,

That’s great advice, thank you! I will check that out, a virtual event sounds like a good way to start! I don’t know why I find it so hard to network, I’m normally not a shy person at all. Perhaps I should use another word than “networking” - maybe it’ll make it easier :joy:

Hi Alicia, Welcome to SVA. I used to feel the same about networking. As I used to feel uncomfortable I decided to throw myself into it. I make sure I attend a network meeting once a month, the online ones have been great and I have met some lovely people. I think most people feel a little nervous etc but it is good to get out of your comfort zone. Also you never know who you may meet and what you may learn etc and may even get work from it. Think of it as team work as they are all businesses trying to be the best they can be. Good luck :slight_smile:

Thank you Keira, you are so right! I have just signed up to a local networking group :see_no_evil: I’ll let you know when I’ve been to my first event! :+1:

Hi Alicia, welcome to the VA world. I was in a very similar position to you when I started my business in March and networking was not something I was looking forward to but thankfully I found a couple of really good groups and 1 in particular i really look forward to every week now, so persevere and you will soon get to enjoy it.

Thank you Jinty71 :blush:

Hi Alicia,

I’m also taking the leap of faith.

I am leaving my current employment as Head of Customer Service to set up as a VA so I can do what I love most. I have over twelve years of experience as an EA/PA and want to get back to my roots, to what I know best. Excited but nervous but surely that’s normal?

Any advice for a newbie most welcome…

Welcome @alicia.tjader.

I look forward to reading how you get on at your first networking event.

Apart from receiving referrals from past contacts, this is the best way to find clients.

Good luck!
Anna