Hi all - Newbie from Hampshire

:wave: Hello to you all,

I just wanted to pop on and introduce myself. I am currently in the process of setting up my VA business (for the second time).

I have worked in various admin/finance/event management roles over the last 15 years and I am now looking to use my skills to help others. I initially started to set up a VA business back in 2011 whilst taking a career break to raise my first two children. Timing was off due to a premature baby and a LOT of hospital appointments etc so it was put on a back burner. I am now in a place that I am able to fully commit to my business and I have to say I am very excited. It is something I have wanted to do for a very long time.

I plan to start out as a general VA focusing on administration, research and a bit of financial help. I am also studying BA (hons) in business management part time with the open university and hopefully this will help me find where why interests and strengths lie so that I can tailor my services in the future.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Definitely trying to launch with a newborn is a bit over ambitious… Apart from anything else, my brain was foggy for about 18 months after both of my kids - I couldn’t get the right words and everything took WAY longer than it should. So many VAs launch when they are on maternity leave, and it’s almost setting themselves up to fail - it’s bloody tough.

Great that you’ve come back to the idea though - and also that experience should really help you focus on what you need to do, it’s not a negative thing.

Is there anything you think you’ll do differently this time?

@caroline nice to ‘meet you’. I have to admit that back in 2011 I was trying to rush into it all and that’s never a good thing. This time around I will most certainly be spending more time on creating my ‘brand’ and networking - things I was lacking in before.

Hi @Beckylouise,

Welcome to the forum,

It amazes me how many people consider setting up with very young children. I found it overwhelming it times and that’s without children.

How far are you into your journey this time? :blush:

Hi @vickyidentify,

Thanks for taking the time to say hello.

I am far from taking on my first client at the moment. I have a name (same one I used in 2011), logo and stationary sorted. I am still in the process of sorting out the legal documentation and registrations and have a half built website. I’m getting there though.

How about you? Are you at the beginning of your VA journey or a seasoned pro?

You’ll get there!

No, I’m far from a seasoned pro. Like most of us, I’ve kind of work in or around the role for years (Mostly within my own business). It’s only this year that I’ve made everything all “official”. I think that’ll always be a working progress.

Hi @Beckylouise

We are looking to have a VA Meet Up at Gunwharf in September - do let me know if you would like the details.

(Little people most welcome - its an informal meet up)

Kind Regards
Amanda

Hi @AmandaJohnson, I am definitely interested! If you can send me the details I will check my diary.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Becky