Hello from Staffordshire!

Hi everyone, my name is Steph and I’ve just launched my business S & A Virtual PA Services. I’m excited and nervous! I’ve worked within admin and finance for over 10 years, after being made redundant during my maternity leave I decided to set up my own business. I want to be able to work in and around family life, while still feeling independent. I’m looking forward to being part of the society and learning as I go!

Hi Steph

Every time we ask VAs what they most love about being a VA, the same word comes up again and again: Flexibility!

So it’s brilliant for doing school runs, working round sick kids and getting to those all important nursery renditions of “Away in a manger”. I have 2 kids, but I had the business well before having them… I must admit I do have a lot of childcare help too though, so don’t imagine that you can scrap all childcare costs - it doesn’t really work like that (unfortunately!!).

You need to have decent availability and turnaround times, and some of your hours will need to be worked during traditional 9-5 hours (stuff like post office, bank, etc all needs done then and you also need a time each week when you know you’ll be able to take calls or arrange meetings etc). Could you persuade your other half to do a morning or two a week??

Hi Caroline, thank you so much for your reply! I do have childcare provisions in place, little one goes to nursery 2 days a week and in April when he’s eligible for government backed hours he will do 2.5 days. So my plan is to work prominently on those 2 days I currently have free.

Then when Noah starts school in 2 years hopefully I’ll have built my business to a place where I’ll need all 5 days of the week free! But I just love the idea that I’ll be able to do the school run and be available for all the things you mentioned :slight_smile:

Those free hours make SUCH a difference! (We got ours back in April for my youngest!)

Hi Steph,

Hope you don’t mind me asking, where abouts in Staffordshire? I am near Stafford :grin: