Hello from Hampshire

I hope you are all doing well. I have just registered as self-employed, business and individual admin services. I had redundancy from the NHS in 2017 as a Support Manager, although I look very good on applications and manage to get interviews, sadly I did not get any offers of employment apart from Sept 2018 as lower banded manager in a hospital, I left in March 2019 due to the work being too easy and my offer of doing it part time was not accepted, however, I was very grateful of the opportunity to learn new systems and meet other people. I have taken a big punt on myself and hope, as I support myself with a mortgage for a long time yet in my 50s, to get an income from the services I offer. I do wonder if age is against me when trying in an organisation, although it shouldn’t be. I have gained all of my academic qualifications whilst working full time, the final hurdle was an MBA achieved Oct 2017, the month before my post was deleted hence redundancy. I still have a lot to learn, I hope the information and advice from SVA will assist me and I develop a healthy business. Being efficient and effective with excellent customer service is paramount to me, hence the name of my website and business, Paramount Administration: www.paramountadministration.co.uk
Any novice advice would be greatly appreciated. With my best wishes, Debs

Hi Debs

I think age can be a brilliant asset in business, but it’s often seen as a liability by employers. The age profile of VAs certainly shows experience is needed:
Source: UK VA Survey v10 2019 https://www.societyofvirtualassistants.co.uk/va-products/

My top tip would be to use those contacts - people who already know you are most likely to be your first clients, so tell everyone you know about what you are doing and who you want to work with… Be specific, ask for what you like doing and hopefully it’ll spark a few ideas!

Hi Debs,

Best of luck with your new business - it sounds as though you have everything you need to make a success of it.

All the best,

Amy

I would also make contact with consultants in your area … more and more do private and medico-legal work to augment their income and often have family members take up the admin … which is less than ideal. Since you worked for the NHS for so long, you should have no difficulty making contact.
Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Thank you all for your advice and kind comments…time is flying whilst trying to suss out the needs and priorities of being self employed, hence my delay in replying. Pleased I have PolicyBee they were really helpful on the phone promoting excellent customer service which is a major attribute and business promoter for me.
hope you are all doing well. D

Welcome Debs! Sounds like you’ve made a good start, hope things improve and you make those contacts into clients.