Emma from Staffordshire

Hi there everyone! I’m Emma and started up my VA business last April. I was originally training to become an electrician, and had completed my Level 2 C&G, but my dog became ill with Alabama Rot. It was an awful time and I thought we were going to lose her. Luckily she pulled through, but it made me question my career choice and the fact that I didn’t want to be out all day, and my dog walked by a dog walker. I wanted to be in her life as much as possible. You know what they say, they are only a part of your life, but you are all of theirs!

Anyway, I did some research and came across the VA. So took a number of courses, and still have quite a few to work through, set up my business and got my first client. I have loved every single moment since and wish I had set up years ago. It allows me time with my dog, and we get a 5 mile walk together every morning. It’s the best career in the world, and so much to learn constantly.

I look forward to getting to know you and hearing about your experiences, trials and tribulations :grin:

Welcome to the group and glad your dog pulled through … my aunt is lost after losing hers over the weekend :cry::dove:

Anna

That is so sad, it’s such an awful thing to deal with. Really sorry :cry:

Welcome! Glad you enjoying your new career :slight_smile:

What a scary way of becoming a VA! I’m so pleased she made it!

I’m a massive dog person, except when my last one expired, I was working full time so I got the next best thing: A Burmese cat (who are half dog). She would not tolerate a dog in the house and regularly terrifies my mum’s dog. My husband puts up with enough of her antics to be permanently put off any more pets. She’s um,… unique!

Which courses did you go for?

Your cat sounds fab, our Millie rules our house. Even Freya my dog is frightened of her.

Initially I did the Online Biz Skills course with Danielle Greason to get some skills, which was really good. The VA Bootcamp with the Virtual Savvy, still working through that, and also some WordPress courses with Techie Mentor. But to be honest, I have a whole list that I am working through. Just signed up to an Email Management one with Horkey Handbook, as my client is currently having trouble with their email and it was an area I don’t know much about. My inbox is a mess.

Good courses, however do be aware UK law significantly differs from what is acceptable worldwide - especially surrounding marketing, legal contracts and data processing!

Hi Caroline, yes definitely aware of that thank you :grin: